Sunday, August 4, 2019

Russel St. School

As a parent of high school students, I found the Russel St. School to be a great resource. The school stream online page keeps the parents informed of school and individual classroom updates with their blogs. The school stream, as well as the seesaw app, can also be downloaded to keep the parents and students connected and informed. I think blogging in the classroom is a great way to communicate with parents and it gives the students ownership of their class communication. I plan on using a class blog this year with my students and allowing the students to keep it updated with our class activities as a communication tool for their parents.

The school is very forthcoming with their finances as they post their annual report for all to see. That certainly is refreshing to see! Also, it's nice to see the school's annual plan with the mission statement, goal, growth and annual achievement, education plan, and property plan. I did notice a spelling error with the word enrolment as it should be spelled enrollment. One other thing I noticed is that there is not a section for forms. I can't imagine that the parents don't have forms that need to be filled out. My children's school website has a section for forms that can be printed and returned.

6 comments:

  1. I agree they are very transparent by posting their annual financial report. The current district does not share these sorts of reports even with the teachers or staff. Has anyone worked in a district that shares these sorts of reports? How does that work out? I could see it being a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that their school seems very transparent. I wonder how this (positively) affects the school culture, both with teachers and the community.

    What platform are you planning to use for your class blog? And how will you build in time to have your students write on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just using my google account to make a class blog (Blogger). The students will write a summary of our week's lessons.

      The selected students of the specific week will have 15 minutes a day to write a summary of what we are doing in class. This 15 minutes will be during our writing block. They will will write it in our class blog on Friday.

      Delete
  3. Knowing the finances is helpful because it lets you know what type of tools or technology you can afford. Unfortunately, it seems like there might be a lot of schools that don't bring in a lot of funds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you're going to be creating a class blog. I remember reading an article a few years back of a teacher mentioning how by using Google Sites as a portfolio students put in more effort since they knew it would be publicly available. Depending on the age of your students, that may be something to mention and see if changes the work they produce.

    ReplyDelete