Sunday, August 4, 2019

Russell Street School

I appreciate the opportunity to check out the Russell Street School blogs and see how other schools are incorporating blogging as a learning activity.

As I look at this website, I see that the school maintained an active blog until early 2018, when the blog moved to the School Stream app. For individuals without a smartphone or who prefer to use a computer, there is a web-based version of the app too. I enjoyed looking through this web-based app because it was a little neater and easier to follow than the old Google Site.

One thing that caught my eye was in the Room 7 blog, the teacher posted pictures of her wedding after noting that a few had asked to see pictures via SeeSaw. I love seeing the human and personal side of classroom teaching too!

On the app version of the classroom blogs, I had a hard time determining who was the author. From the writing style, it seemed like they were all posted by adults. Was anyone able to see attributions on the posts, aside from if/when someone signed their name?

For the older blogs linked on the Google Site, many of the teachers were using SeeSaw to share out their learning with parents. I loved seeing the comments from parents on different posts, especially when they were so encouraging of all students. I don’t know a lot about SeeSaw, except that many elementary teachers I know love it! I am hoping to help one of our special education classes get this set-up for their classroom and parents this year. If anyone has experience, leave me a comment with your best tips!

After exploring the Russell Street School blogs, I’d love to explore blogging with my students. I’ve tried it a couple of times, as both a reflection tool and as part of larger projects. I wonder if I could achieve similar reflective results using Instagram, and allowing students to post to our classroom account.

6 comments:

  1. There seems to be a blip with your blog post. Your sentences are running off the page!

    I too love seeing the personal side of the classroom! Love when teachers share their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, see if that works. I've never had that problem with blogger before. I removed formatting, and it seems happier.

      Delete
  2. Mari,

    Something weird is going on with you post. Even after refreshing it several times, the words are all the way across the page, in long sentences horizontally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, see if that works. I've never had that problem with blogger before. I removed formatting, and it seems happier.

      Delete
  3. SeeSaw has a lot of followers in their social media, which shows that many people like it. Thus, it must be good if all those followers continue to be interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't agree with more followers equating to something being good. There are plenty of tools and people on social media that have lots of followers, that I do not think are good for classrooms or teachers. One of the pitfalls of EduTwitter is people blindly following someone who looks like they know what they are talking about and has a lot of followers, but is saying things that are contrary to what actually happens in classrooms.

      I encourage you to check out SeeSaw for yourself, and decide if it is something worthwhile for you and your students. As I said in my post, I do not have a lot of experience with SeeSaw. The teachers that I know that love it are individuals who regularly use it in their classrooms.

      Delete