Thursday, August 1, 2019

Russell Street School

As one of my classmates stated, my first impression of the Russell Street School is WOW. The website is so inviting and pleasant to the eyes. It seems to be a place where students are encouraged to learn, challenged, and nurtured. The public is heavily involved and the students have a variety of recreational activities they can be involved in, from swimming to riding scooters on the scooter track. There is also an extensive host of experiences Russell Street students are offered, included but not limited to an authentic abundance of technological support, sports competitions, and personalized learning.

The User Interface (UI) is everything designed into an information device with which a person may interact, including display screens, keyboards, a mouse, and the appearance of a desktop. It is also the way through which a user interacts with an application or a website. The UI is significant in a person's interaction with information displayed before them. It looks to me as if teachers are all contributors to the school blog, but also maintain their personal class blogs. I think it's a good idea, but it is very "busy," which makes it hard to focus on specific information. Maybe a new hosting site would be better with organization and cluster of information.


10 comments:

  1. I agree that when it comes to blogs it is less clean than the rest of the website. I wonder if I were to adapt this type of strategy if it would work better with a different blogging platform using tags for each classroom. Then, the blog could be organized with different tags in the menu to find each class blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should work. Google Sites is good at this. Each student can have their own page and use that page to add any pics or information of their choice. Wordpress costs so it wouldn't be my recommendation platform for a classroom blog. Blogger works, too, as you can see. I will admit it took me a while to get an understanding of where everything is located.

      Delete
    2. Alicia, Thanks for the words of advice. It's good to know that Google is the best route and that there is a cost associated with Wordpress. It would be great to have each student have their own place to put their stuff though. Is there a limit for how many students are free with Google?

      Delete
    3. Alicia, are you saying Google Sites works for blogging?

      Delete
    4. Yes, Danielle, it can. You can create a page for each student and they only work on their page.

      Delete
    5. Tannell, I don't think there is a limit. At least I've never come across one.

      Delete
    6. Interesting, I will have to look into it.

      Delete
  2. I was also impressed with the website interface and the information that is provided. As a parent, it would be nice to be able to stay well informed with different options without having to contact the school. I also think that some parts of the blogs and Google Sites page are a bit disorganized. Some areas are better than others so it makes me wonder if it may have to do with the technical knowledge and training of the instructors or faculty. I noticed with some blogs for classrooms they are setup really nicely while some are messy with basic default layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake,

    I hate that the blog was so messy. The website is amazing though. It's hard finding a FREE site that will allow you to do a variety of things such as embed photos or videos. Luckily, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover or in this case, a blog by its host. LOL! See what I did there? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, a school that encourages a student shows that they want the student to succeed. It also helps the student because most individuals like to hear positive words.

    ReplyDelete